Fat has become a dirty word in today’s society. However fats are a type of nutrient that we need from our diet. It is essential for hormone function (especially in women) and it also gives our bodies energy that it needs to work properly. Also if you are looking to lose body fat, well FAT burns fat!
During exercise, your body uses calories from carbohydrates you have eaten. But after 20 minutes, exercise then depends on calories from fat to keep you going. As everyone knows fat also keeps us fuller for longer.
However we need to be eating the right source of fats unfortunately in today’s society people are consuming the wrong type of fats and consuming to many refined sugars which is seeing a rise in obesity levels. Not just in Australia but all around the world. So when health professionals prescribe fat to somebodies diet there is a natural reaction of horror on their face. So let me break it down for you. What fats are ok and have the tick of approval. Which fats are good and which fats are bad?
Good sources of fats include:
– Almond nut butter
– Coconut yoghurt or Greek yoghurt
– Coconut oil or olive oil
– Smoked salmon (50/50 of protein & fat)
– Eggs (50/50)
– Nuts incl. walnuts, almonds & flaxseeds
Bad sources of fats:
– Ice cream
– Takeaway food i.e. MacDonald’s
– Hydrogenated oils ie Vegetable oil, margarine, packaged snacks
So how do we know what’s what? READ. I have said it before I know but here I am saying it again. Read the nutritional information panel on the back of the food labels. But remember we want 20% of our diet “man-made” and the other 80% comes from nature made, so really there shouldn’t be too many labels to read. However if you are confused ask your personal trainer because we are here to make the process easier for you. A common phrase that we hear is that eating fat will people fat. Fat has many essential functions in the body and without it we would be sick. You need to make the distinction between good (unsaturated) fats and bad (trans, saturated) fats. In order to burn fat we need to eat fat.
Yes, the macronutrient itself is denser in calories than protein and carbohydrates so the total of grams per day needed will be less compared to the other two major macronutrients. For those of you who have never heard of a macronutrient before they are the essential nutrients our bodies require to function in everyday life. And fat should never be over looked. However in saying this everybody’s bodies are different. If an individual cannot handle too much fat in their diet, something is not working to its full potential inside the body. This may be the liver or the gut and in this case the consumption of fat will need to be reassessed. Once again that is where we can help you to point you in the right direction. Remember everybody’s health journey is different but the importance of fat is something society in general needs to be more aware of.
The Bottom Line
Fats are not all bad and should not be indiscriminately cut from your diet. Saturated and trans fats have been shown to increase your cholesterol levels and risk of heart disease while some unsaturated fats can do the opposite. Separating the good fats from the bad ones will allow you to function optimally and feel the best you have ever felt before. After all we all deserve to move and function to the best of our ability and live the best life.
Real Fitness Training is a boutique wellness studio located in the Hills District which includes the surrounding suburbs of Castle Hill, Baulkham Hills, Kellyville, Bella Vista, Castle Hill, Cherrybrook, Glenorie, West Pennant Hills, Glenwood and Rouse Hill. Our services include personal training, semi-private personal training, yoga, meditation and nutrition. Creating optimal lifestyles since 2013.