In the last few weeks we have discussed the negative effects of too much or too little cortisol within the body and how to improve cortisol levels. But cortisol has a positive side as it is an essential hormone. We need this hormone in our body in order to carry out normal physiological function. Cortisol plays an important role in controlling blood sugar and keeping our immune system healthy.
What are some of the positive effects of cortisol?
- Regulation of blood pressure
- Control of blood sugar levels
- Fight or flight response (Body provides you with the energy needed in a stressful situation)
- Lower inflammation caused by the immune system
- Helps to maintain proper physiological conditions within the body
Cortisol is needed within our body and without it our body would struggle to function. It’s important to remember that we need the balance. As most people in society experience high levels of stress, it is important to find ways to combat this. Lowering the stress causes may prove to be a difficult task but it’s the way we deal with stress that matters. Simple ways include exercise, yoga, meditation, breathing techniques and improving nutrition. All of these forms of stress release help to lower cortisol levels in the body and aid in bringing the body back to it’s balance.